Re: loop device endorsement - was Santanas looping bassist

In a message dated 8/25/2002 4:56:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time, gwaltzer@optonline.net writes:

Personally I hope that looping remains on the fringe.
When it goes mainstream, that will be the time to move on to something else.

Why does looping have to be & remain marginalized to remain meaniful and valid for you?

I mean music is already mainstream and hyper-present and so hyper present these days that it is marginalized and just taken for granted.

& IMHO music just dont really mean that much anymore to people.

But does that mean you stop making your Loop music if  masses start buying en masse loop tools which you use to make music ?

Did Paul Macartney Stop playin bass becasue lots of people who saw and heard of the bealtles wanted to play bass or buy perhaps basses looking like and sounding just like his?

did Jimi Hendrix stop playin strats altogether becasue people started playing strats after they saw him playin one ?

Did liberace stop playin Piano becase people bought pianos?

& if that is the case where say you "move on", & if others suddenly start doing what you do and use the tools you would use to do it and embrace the loop tools as theirs, then were you ever really with "it" if you have to abandon "it" at that point?

& i mean the music when i say "it" not something else or rather was "it" all just a refuge/romanticsm or possibly even narcissism?

BTW, im not trying directyly or indirectly to be mean or belittle anyones tastes here on a personal level.

However IMHO we need all music - good and bad - for there ever to be any music at all.  & I am looking at things with a commecial slant here as having more reach than say an esoteric perspective.

But the idea of a looper as a remix tool is a step toward a larger audience IMHO.

and I would push the Loop tool concept to turntablists and customers for LIVE and ACID.

I think IMHO that if people will buy ACID and LIVE & DL4's en masse, and can thusly be enthused and actually "get" the purpose of those products that those very same people, can also just the same way and be enthused about EDP's and buy them en masse and use them.

I would also maybe consider having a SW version of an EDP for notebook users that models delays just like the DL4 in realtime & sell it as an ACID like tool, but still have all the features of an EDP available in it...but maybe thats just not realistic or feasable or an altogther
different produuct than what it is now.

& what about the EDP as floor unit - edp Lite?

Just maybe that edp as floor unit would sell if it had DL/4 like features and more as much as you could pack extra features into a floor pedal.

but the dl4 does IMHO tend to draw people into the looping camp and is priced right and is simple to use fro a 12-21 yr old looking for instant gratification wihtout having to buy add on components.

Looping's main image problem IMHO - is that its in the hands ( when there is a perception of looping ) of musicians who are appreciated mostly by other musicians ( aint a money makin or romaticized-fantasized cool factor in that image with many benjamins or hot girls or the perks that come with bein recognized or coveted ) and thats usually either virtuoso's, experimental improv/avant garde stuff that is so individual and so inward looking or genre eschewing and esoteric that it can only be related to by other musicians of the same ilk & be elikewise engaged only from the uncredited periphery when pointed @ the masses in term sof its use and comprehension of its presence.

With any product or musical act the main thing or shictick to any genre style or performer is making people wanna be like you.

But Looping frankly needs - IMHO - some of what we would call the "dumb, bad & rotten apples" to grow beyond its perpetual preaching to its own choir IMHO.

I will never forget a post here where somebody was commenting on someone elses work and they derrided them for not having anything new that they hadnt already heard ( comment was your beast are nothing I havent heard b4 )

and i was dumbstruck and thought that if more loopers would be working with more maisntram music they would actaully be selling looping more than the guys tryin to break new ground.

I really wanna see sugarray, Britanny, Pdiddy Jah Rule or Insane Clown Posse, Korn Limp and or say MOby feature EDP's in their respective videos.

But y'all know my idea to sell anything is to put sex into the equation.

Jenna Jamison, Jill Kelly or my fave - Chloe talking in print about how their "loop machines" make them feel would move tons of units ...just kidding - somewhat :)

Warmest Regards,
John Price/AKASH
"The World's Most Erotic Band"
http://www.akashmusic.com
http://www.mp3.com/akashmusic
"Remember To Always Kill Your Expectations"