Re: loop recordings pool / language clarification

Matthias wrote:
> I never really understood that soapbox thing... is it slippery? Do I
> stay on it?

Good one!  The English phrase "to get on one's soapbox" derives from
informal public oratory.  In times past, someone who wanted to air their
grievances publicly (in a park or public square) would use a wooden packing
crate to stand upon -- sort of an improvised platform or podium -- and
speak
to the crowd.  (Perhaps at one time or place this crate actually was one
used to ship soap.)  I believe that in some cities there were specific
areas
in certain public places for people to do this.  This was a popular public
entertainment during the Great Depression, for instance, when the common
people who would never be able to broadcast their political opinions on
radio could easily gather a crowd to listen to what they had to say.

So the expression "on one's soapboax" has come to mean something like
"airing one's opinion (sometimes quite forcefully) whether or not anyone
else wishes to hear it" or "preaching one's point of view."  So that when
we
"get off of our soapbox" we resume normal conversation, without any
preaching or persuasion.

Just another one of those linguistic landmines for the non-native English
speaker . . .