Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

Matthias Grob wrote:

> sorry, I think one of the strongest marketing arguments we have is
> that loop music is mostly created by naturaly vibrating instruments,
> controlled by a competent expressive musician, as it was in the
> passed, though combined with the technology of exact repetition. To
> bring the word Syth into it would be rather a damage.

I totally think that you're off here.. in your attitude about synth.  Synth
players are (stereotype coming, please stand by) used to new models coming
out
often.  New products are released all the time, it's a lot more like the
computer world.  People are less afraid of "new."  This is a big market
IMO for
your product.  Most guitar players are more likely to have a Strat (note
basic
design has not changed in 50 or so years) plugged into a tube amp (also not
much has changed here).  You're lucky if they've got a few stomp boxes.
You're
really lucky if they've got a floor multieffects box.  You've hit the
jackpot
if they've got a rack mounted effects processor with a MIDI controller.
Most
horn/wind instrument players have a set up that's a lot simpler.

I have to say that DJs and Keyboard players are most likely to have racks
of
gear, and be used to learning how to use new gear.  It's a stereotype, of
course, but it's the truth.  I've been in the trenches selling music gear.

On the other hand, I think "loop-ular synthesis" is not a good term for
this...
is there any synthesis going on?  I think it's a bad term for "granular
synthesis" too, while I'm at it.  Audio Granulation would be much better.

If any marketing strategy is going to succeed, we're going to have to

A) Define our target market.  (we already know our current market of nitch
guitar geeks, experimental electronics, and prog rockers) who do we DON'T
have
that we want to reach?  Who can we reach?  If we target Electronica/Synth
players and DJs, they will spread the word, I'm sure.

B) Keep is SIMPLE.  Trying to say and be everything is the best way to say
and
be nothing.  I see our clients insisting on being horrifically verbose (as
we're being) and losing the audience.  The message never gets across
because
people have zoned out.

C) Elect a few firm leaders.  The buck needs to stop with a few strong
leaders.  Marketing by committee is never very good.  Too many cooks...