Re: CD-Rs

I attended a panel discussion on archiving strategies at the TapeOp
conference last spring, and the fellow from Emtec (sorry, I forgot his
name) lent some insight into producing good CD-Rs.

He said that it was indeed best to burn at 1x or 2x (preferrably 1x),
but only if you are using media which is intended for that burn speed.
Apparently, they use a thinner layer of organic dye on media rated for
higher speeds, so if you burn at slower speeds the laser will burn too
large of a hole.

Of course, this was for producing a master CD-R suitable for archive.
For mass-production, you're probably going to want to just burn them at
high speed.  Blank CD-Rs rated for 1x or 2x are more difficult to find
these days, and they probably still cost a couple of bucks each.

He also noted that a Sharpie is not the right tool for labeling your
media.  The solvents in the ink are not kind to the laquer layer that
coats the top of the disc, and this can lead to problems down the line.
(But I do it anyway).

-Hans