RE: new HW/SW trend?

>Cool! Too bad manufacturers aren't running to put ethernet ports in their
>devices yet, but USB could be a better way around this anyway, and the
>HEINOUS (ahem) bandwidth and buffer limits of the MIDI hardware spec.

USB definitely gets around some of the latency, and USB 2.0 can deal with
the bandwidth, but both USB and Firewire are still working off more of the
idea of a chain type mentality (I'm sure there are ways around it).  You
also can't share devices between two computers as you could with Ethernet.
 Plus, I'm not sure if devices on a firewire or USB chain can address each
other directly or if they have to go through the controller (computer).

One last reason why ethernet is better: WIRELESS!

    Kevin

Kevin Goldsmith                          kevin@unitcircle.com
Unit Circle Media                   http://www.unitcircle.com
New From Unit Circle: