Re: new HW/SW trend?

At 12:28 PM 1/21/2003, Jon Wagner wrote:
> > I've been wondering if manufacturers would move more towards "real"
>networking, ie: Ethernet.  With Gigabit ethernet hardware chips coming
>down
>in price, giving bandwidth to spare, I'm wondering why manufacturers
>haven't
>moved in that direction.
> >

>Me too. ethernet seems so obvious - its been around for a long time and
>its
>not going anywhere anytime soon, and bandwidth is not a problem at all.  I
>wonder, is there a problem with variable (unpredictable) latency of
>ethernet
>used for with audio stuff?

Ethernet is a horrible choice for networking realtime audio and other
multimedia data for exactly the reason you suspect. The latencies can be
quite large and unpredictable. Ethernet arbitrates the network at the
hardware level with collision detection mechanisms and random back-off
times, which means there is no way to guarantee a specific time when your
message will arrive. TCP/IP at the higher layers makes this worse. The
whole network is designed with the goal of getting the data there reliably
and intact, not getting it there at a guaranteed time. You have to do a
lot
of buffering to overcome this, which makes real-time usage a major problem.

It is even worse for control data streams like MIDI. Can you imagine
trying
to play drums where the sounds you trigger are shifting variably by
+/-50ms
or more? Even shifting by 10ms would make it impossible to play a groove
with a laid back feel vs on top of the beat. For that type of application
network that guarantees latency is even more critical.

(Long ago I worked on the zipi project, where we sought to solve this
issue. we developed a token passing network similar to the type of thing
used for "mission critical" control applications like factory automation
and space launches. A good idea, but too much of a niche to get the
momentum for it to survive.)

For these reasons, Ethernet was long ago discarded by the AES as an option
for digital audio networks. 1394 (now called by apple's name Firewire) was
designed from the beginning to handle media and control data streams, and
is a much better choice. This is why you see all the audio companies
adopting it (finally), and why camcorders and other video devices use it
as
well. Unlike something like zipi, it has wide enough usage and backing to
really survive.

kim