Re: LIVE Sound Card choices for Mac Live Loop programs?

At 2:43 AM -0700 6/29/03, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL wrote:

>I want to get a breakout box that will allow me to do real time stereo
>audio
>input into a MAC Titanium powerbook (800 mghz).

>The Lowest Latency possible with the most inexpensive price is what
>I'm looking for.

>Is firewire the way to go?

FireWire or card bus (PCMCIA) will both be better than USB, but the
cost will be higher.

There are no 2-channel FireWire interfaces.

The M-Audio FireWire 410 is the cheapest, at $389 street price. Four
inputs and ten outputs, plus MIDI I/O.

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/maudio_firewire410.html

The best card bus interface seems to be the RME Multiface at around
$1000 street price. Ultra low latency.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm

This has 8x8 analog audio as well as ADAT light pipe. It has both
PCMCIA and PCI interface options, so it would be possible to use the
same breakout box with either a laptop or a desktop machine. It's
also both Mac and PC compatible.

>After NAMM, seeing KANTOS,  Ableton's LIVE,  Steve Duda's Devine-Machine
>(looping program) and Cycling 74's RADIAL, Ms. Pinky and JITTER   I
>decided to take the plunge

Devine Machine is PC-only at this point. A Mac version is intended,
but they need to find a programmer who can do the port. Live is both
Mac and PC.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com