Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V03 #202

Speaking of schleppage, I have the second handicap of not having a car -
so
I must be able to carry everything I use at once and fit it on public
transportation.

Since last year's "Found Objects" show, I've been using that kind of setup
for live performances. I bring a mixer, two DOD-DFX 94's, a casio  sk-1, a
microphone and a contact mic. If you combine that with all the junk that I
actually make sounds with (an assortment of bottles, office supplies and
cat
toys), I'm usually carrying about 70 pounds for a few miles whenever I
have
a show. If I have to bring my PA, that's even worse, since it keeps
falling
off my ¿!#@$% rolley cart when I'm crossing the street. That's much
different from my "Tape Recorder" setup, which all fits in a backpack.

But if you want to talk about schleppage nightmares, here's a tank-looking
effects board on ebay that weighs 90 pounds!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2514813456&category=7266

re: Laptops
Up in San Francisco, there's a buttload of musicians who improvise with
laptops. In the upcoming Big Sur Experimental Music Festival, it's the 2nd
most common instrument after guitar (10 out of 100 musicians are listed as
"laptop"). One of the guys, Peter Nyboer, has been developing a piece of
software called "Girl", specifically for live looping and loop-based
improvisations. He has it available at http://girl.yowstar.com/.

Matt