re: Recording tools

Depends what you want to record.

There are specific mics for specific purposes.  The SM-57 is a good mic
for live performance as it is durable.  Dynamic mics like the SM-57 are
often used on drums in the studio.  They are supposedly the mic of
choice by some singers in the studio, too, but I think there are better
mics for acoustic instruments and vocals.  Generally speaking,
studio-quality mics don't travel well,  so you might keep this in mind.

My suggestion is to take a little time and search for usenet discussions
or for white papers on microphone types - and I don't mean searching the
Musicians Friend on-line catalog...

A couple of inexpensive-but-good condensor mics that you might research
on usenet groups such as Product.SONAR on the news.cakewalk.com server:

Studio Projects C-1 (excellent vocal mic) at about $225
Oktava MC012 (MK012) at Guitar Center for about $99, but you must
audition due to QC problems (excellent on acoustic instruments)
Rode NT5 (about $250/pair new on ebay) Sold as a matched set and are
said to be nice on drums or on acoustic instruments

Looping content - Say has anybody here been to the Saturday loopfest at
Chama (NYC) lately?  Haven't seen much discussion here of same...

Dan Ash