Re: live looping, etc.

--- Mark Sottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:
> My wife said something really insightful this
> evening.  She said, "how can you create a scene when
> you don't share a common location?"

You might be underestimating the Internet's role AS a
common location, maybe, possibly.

Case in point: yesterday, by sheer chance I ran into
another listmember. (I live in Maine, he lives in
Massachusetts, we ran into each other in New
Hampshire.) Sure, it's only a 30-mile circle, but read
on... The only reason we recognized each other is
because we've both performed in events specifically
billed as Looping Festivals, although there is quite a
difference in our musical styles, even though we both
sometimes use eBows and the same brand of lap steel
bar. As part of our conversation, I made an oblique
reference to a comment made by another listmember (a
formerly green-haired gentleman who lives 3,000 miles
away who also organizes and performs in Loop-specific
events) regarding an all-percussion CD (with heavy
loop content) that we just completed; he (the
once-green-haired one) observed that he thinks it will
appeal to others besides percussionists.

When I relayed the comment, I didn't need to explain
the joke.

In the 'old days' musicians met and networked in
physical locations. But now, for me at least, much of
the introductory stage happens online; I've met many
listmembers at events I wouldn't have known about
without LD. (The Ought-1 festival, David Kirkdoffer's
Boston Loopers Collective events, the Council for
Sonic Decadence's 'Sonic Blender', et cetera.) There
are also countless recording projects on which the
musicians have never met in person.

I enjoyed Larry the O's EM piece. Here's another one
that talks about a loopcentric online community; it's
a little dated, but a lot of it is still relevant:
<http://www.fosters.com/showcase/issues01/jan/04/cov_0104a_01.htm>

-t-