Samplers (was Re: euro?american grovebox

I've thought about samplers for years, but I'm not sure if they're for
me... I'm not sure why.  I do know that I try to spend a lot less time
screwing around with sounds than I used to.  I swear I used to sit down
with my Korg DW8000 and tweak until I passed out.

I can't do that any more.  I'm more apt to buy a unit that I think has
a lot of interesting or usable sounds and go from there.  Some tweaking
here and there, but a lot of my sounds are stock.  With guitar, it's
less so.  I think I made a decision years ago that I could go on the
sound design route or try to spend more of my time doing music.  Of
course, I tend to fool with sounds a lot using effects, so they often
don't end up very stock.

So samplers always seem like a lot of work to me.  I have a friend who
brought over a Roland groovebox-sampler and I hated it.  In the time it
took us to sample and tweak the loops I could have made 10 cool loops
with my ROMpler based device.  Sure, it's less flexible, but maybe the
limitations are good.  For me at least.

Mark