Re: the function of some music

--- Richard Zvonar <zvonar@zvonar.com> wrote:
> At 7:12 PM +0100 6/6/03, Matthias Grob wrote:
>
> >I see a lot of people listen to dancing music without dancing, so
> >its missused as ambient, no?
>
> It seems to me that ambient music is intended to merge into the local
> soundscape and not to be actively listened to. Therefore if one
> listens attentively to ambient music, the music is being misused.

My impression was that ambient music wasn't so much interesting in
-merging- with
the local landscape as -creating- it's own "local landscape". Using this
definition, actively listening to it would be optional, but not required,
in the
same sense that we can actively listen and observe our surroundings or
allow them
to blur into the background of our thoughts, more or less unnoticed.

Greg