Re: the function of some music

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Goodman" <spgoodman@earthlight.net>

> > >In Eno's original definition of Ambient Music, which appeared in early
> > >copies of Music For Airports, he declared "Ambient Music must be able
> > >to accomodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one
> > >in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."
>
> I've always tried to adhere to the Eno Ambient Rule whenever I did
>anything
> I decided to call "ambient", though I should say that I'd read Eno as
>saying
> it "must be as ignorable as it is listenable."

Here's my source for that quote:
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/MFA-txt.html
That short essay and the ones for Discrete Music and On Land
( which can also be found there at the same site at
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/liners.html )
quite clearly lay out the ideas that the term Ambient Music
was based on and its "functions".
The EnoWeb site is a terrific resource for all things Eno.
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/index.center.html

> Slightly BOT: The other night BBC2 ran a show named something like "Dave
>and
> Joe Go Tokyo", which apparently is a weekly - beautiful contrasting
>pieces
> with "what's new in Japan", ostensibly... and one of the items on the
>show
> was presented as an "Ambient Toy", a huge seller apparently.  All it is
>is a
> small round figurine (more like a fat Pokemon than a 'Buddha' visually),
> whose head rocks gently right and left.  It looked very quasi-hypnotic,
>and
> yes, Ambient if you will.
>
> Has anyone seen these little fellas?  Or for that matter the "Go Tokyo"
> show?
>
> Steve Goodman

I just did a quick search on Google (and WiseNut) on "Ambient Toy"
but found nothing related.

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to