Re: guitar synthesizers

As a guitar player I need to through in my 2-cents worth on the "Synth Thing". I also us the Roland GR-30 with the GK-Kit pickup installed in a Strat (with EMG's by the way). I like the kit in that I have easier access to the control functions. And I don't have this monstrosity of a controller (GK-2) on the top of my guitar. As with most synths out there, the sounds that work well are great. And the ones that don't are awful.
Does anybody know much about the Synclavier? I've seen both Pat Metheny and John McLauglin use them live (as well as on recordings). Based on what I've seen and heard the Synclavier is a very impressive tool. I know they're not cheap, but I do not know if they are still being manufactured.