Re: MiniDisc suggestions

> Or I have heard that some mp3 players can record .wav
> files on the fly (Nomad??) - which sounds pretty cool.

Funny you should mention that ...

I purchased a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 MP3 player/recorder to replace
my Sony MD MZ-N1 minidisc. The Nomad 3 has a shared optical/line-in jack
that can be used for recording. It can record in .WAV (11, 44.1, 48 kHz) or
MP3 (64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, 320 kbps) formats. NOTE, the newer "Zen"
models do not have a line-in or recording capabilties.

You can use supplied "Creative Playcenter 3" software to move files back
and
forth to your computer. There is also a 3rd party piece of software by Red
Chair Software called Notmad Explorer which is worth checking out
(http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/)

My impression is that the AD converters aren't as good in the Nomad as they
are in the Sony MDs, but right now being able to easily drag-'n-drop
WAV/MP3
recordings around is much more compelling to me than minor sound quality
differences. I now use a small outboard Behringer mixing board, so the
recording quality is comparable.

Did I get rid of my MD? Well, no. It is smaller and easier to just hook up
stereo mic for recording ... I keep it in my bag for times when I want to
do
some quick recording, but then I regret it when I have to transfer back to
my PC.