Re: EMU XL-7 thoughts?

The prices have really dropped on this box and at $420 (musician's
friend Blem, but I can't find a scratch or issue with it, usually it
sells for $499) the sale of my far inferior Roland MC-307 almost
covered it.

I can't tell you how much I'm digging this box.  Jon got me thinking
about it when I did a gig with him and I thought his beats sounded
great.  When I got the PlanetEarth I was pretty impressed with it's
sounds and thought, "if only my 307 sounded like this..."  Wasn't long
after that the 307 went to ebay and the XL-7 came in the mail.  I do
have a few comments on what Jon said though...

On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 04:17 PM, sserendipity wrote:

>> speaking of the EMU XL-7...
>>
>> any thoughts or reviews?
>> how easy is it sequence stuff in the studio?
>
> Easier than any of the other hardware sequencers. Not as good as a
> software sequencer.

I have to disagree on this one.  Jon's a genius who's probably on the
verge of figuring out cold fusion.  I thought the 307 was easier in
many ways, though also more limited. (it's not without its own quirks
too) There are a few of what I call "user interface flaws" in this that
are a bit weird.  Like no way to quickly initialize a pattern.  You've
got to copy and paste a blank pattern from another location or erase
tracks one at a time.  What what what?  Silly, but no deal breaker.
It's got great effect send or aux out features, but they're awkward to
use and the manual isn't clear.  Jon moderates a really good and
helpful XL-7 users group on yahoo though.  It's come in handy for me.

Could also have some form of "groove quantize" like the Roland
products.  All it has is a swing function, but it's pretty good.  That
was kind of nice about the Roland.  I also have a friend who finds the
Korg eTribe boxes really nice.  All this said, I'm glad I got the XL-7
and I'm not looking back.  It's a quirky little box in some ways, but
well worth the effort.

>> how are the sounds?

I agree the sound quality is good, but you're probably going to want to
fill up those ROM slots.  The World Expedition ROM rules, but no
Digerydoo, Tambura or Tablas!  Fixed by adding the Protozoa ROM (on
special now for $100 at zzounds) and it has by far the best tambura
sound I've ever heard from a synth.  Pretty good digerydoo and tablas
too.  Over all the sound quality is higher and more interesting
especially on the percussion side.  My one complaint is the XL-7's ROM
has a bunch of typical techno sounds that I find a little stale.  I'm
curious to see if they release the new drum ROM that comes with the new
Command Station.