Re: EMU XL-7 thoughts?

Hi Mark,
>I agree the sound quality is good, but you're probably going to want to
>fill up those ROM slots.  The World Expedition ROM rules, but no
>Digerydoo, Tambura or Tablas!  Fixed by adding the Protozoa ROM (on
>special now for $100 at zzounds) and it has by far the best tambura
>sound I've ever heard from a synth.  Pretty good digerydoo and tablas
>too.  Over all the sound quality is higher and more interesting
>especially on the percussion side.  My one complaint is the XL-7's ROM
>has a bunch of typical techno sounds that I find a little stale.  I'm
>curious to see if they release the new drum ROM that comes with the new
>Command Station.

So it sounds like you can use Proteus sound boards? are these similar to
the
Roland JV/XV boards? Is the board you mention the same sound set as the
Planet
Earth?

My other question is how visual is the XL7? I'm always on the lookout for a
good interactive hardware sequencer that I can use live with good sounds.
So
I'm wondering how much I'd need to look at the screen  (I'm blind and use a
magnifyer which is OK at home but not easy or desirable live). it looks
like
its got a lot of knobs & switches, do they all have preassigned functions?

Thanks.

Ian.