Re: (affordable) stereo (live) looping?

At 2:44 PM -0700 7/12/03, Scott Hawley wrote:
>I'd imagine that I could buy two EDP's and sync them,
>or I could even buy something from Eventide, but I'm
>not willing to pay that kind of money right now.  I
>guess I'd like to stay below, say, $1200.

Well there aren't many stereo looping solutions that I know of (in
ascending price order):
1 - Electrix Repeater (discontinued)
2 - Echoplex (a pair of them)
3 - Eventide Orville or 7500 (or a discontinued 4500)
4 - Symbolic Sound Kyma

The Repeater can certainly be had for much less than your $1200 budget.
You could _maybe_ pick up a pair of Echoplexes for $1200. As far as the
Eventide stuff and the Kyma, well they do way more than you need, so I
guess you don't really have to worry about the price :-)

There are also software solutions using something like Max/MSP which may
work for you.

I have experience with most of these solutions (never used the Kyma), and
they all have their plusses and minuses. You can certainly make a
Righteous Racket with any of them.

Chris

--
 http://www.xfade.com/ | theory and practice. In practice, there is.