Resetting all loops on Brothersync'ed EDPs the easy way

Supposing you've got two EDPs connected via Brothersync acting as
synchronized mono loopers, not as a stereo pair.  What's the quickest
way to reset both of them completely without cycling the power.  After
I've been using them for a while (each one is set to two loops), I'll
decide that I want to clear everything out.  I thought that a long
Record followed by a long Multiply on each machine would do it, but
that's not always the case.  As a result, when I go to start recording
my new "base" loop (the first one that determines the minimum cycle
length and musical foundation of the piece), instead of going instantly
into record when I press the Record button, it goes into the waiting
mode, like it's waiting for a startpoint from the other machine.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?  I'm using a stereo cable for
Brothersync, it's set to Out on both machines, and I'm using an EDP
foot controller (not a MIDI controller), and the 4.0 software and I'm
not noticing other problems.

TravisH