Using new tools with other musicians

-----Original Message-----
From: Travis
If you're playing with other musicians,<snip> I don't see how you can
"adjust" the loop.

<snip>
Trying to shoehorn it into previous musical forms, such as an
AABA song is sort of a dead-end.

TravisH

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 01:44 AM,
Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:

>> If you want to play with other musicians, a looper is a barrier
>> because it's like playing to a click track... which everyone hates,
>> unless
>> they're another looping musician.
>
> That's true if the looper is a beginner and doesn't know how to adjust
> their loops with the music around them.

WEELLL . . . this is a particular issue for me, as I use sequences as well
in a solo context, and also with other musicians.  My take on this is, you
are the leader when you have the "hot potato" of the loop or sequence (or
CD, whatever).  The musicians with whom I work do not always allow me that
privilege.  I do have some dates coming up at the Hyatt next to Seaport
Village where I am required to bring sequences, and hope that situation is
agreeable (I have never played with the musicians on the date--one of them
is the fine San Diego based trumpeter Gilbert Castellanos)
http://www.groundfloorentertainment.com/gilbert_castellanos.htm
In the future it will be easier to "adjust" loops and software based
processors are probably the platform.
For now I am happy with what I have--the EDP sure beats the Jamman!  I
never
could get it to do what I wanted . . .  Those other guys who make it happen
with 32 seconds astound me.
Gary