Re: Looping with other musicians, new tools=new results

>If everyone's supposed to be keeping time for themselves, why is it so
>particularly important for the drummer to be able to hear the loop?
>
>TravisH
>>>thought (that the
>>>of keeping time for the
>>>least in North America.

My point was not that everyone should "keep time for themselves", but
rather
be RESPONSIBLE for keeping time for themselves.  A musician uses a
metronome
as a learning tool, but does not (hopefully) seek to play
"metronomically".
It is unfair for drummers to be used a "band metronomes", and unfair, and
unmusical, for other musicians to "rely" on them as such. Certainly, while
playing, we all listen to and respond to other players' phrasing, note
selection, time, cadence etc.  This is all part of the inner dialogue of
music. To assign the role of "timekeeper" to a member would inhibit this
converstaion, as well as limit the other players' ability to grow.  Yet,
drummers', due to the nature of their instrument and their training, are
certainly more "aware" or sensitive to changes in tempo and time, and
perhaps become the tempo "monitor"; the first to fire off any warning
flares
when things become a little too spongy.

Rhythm is not a static event, but rather is filled with ebbs and flows,
expansion and contaction, speeding up and slowing down.  By maintaining
one's own responsibility to the "time" an entire ensemble can live and
breathe as on, musically.  When using loops, the band can simultaneously
play with and against the loop while maintaing as sense of time and tempo.

And, in my post, I point out that an essential is a good and complete
monitor system.  The loop has to be treated as another instrument which is
audibly available to all, not just an effect of whomever is triggering it.
When I work with bands, and use loops, I often run a seperate monitor mix
off my rig, with  nother power amp and monitor speakers, to the various
corners of the stage just for loop monitoring.  WHen everyone can hear a
part clearly they can play to it, with it and for it.

Max

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental