Re: EDP function recommendation (or question)

Hi Glenn,

> I want to be able to frequently
> go from loop 1 to loop 2 and have it behave as if loop 2 were
> empty every time. In other words, create loop 1, copy that to
> loop 2, add some stuff, and then throw all that away when I
> music.

I do this a lot, and there are a couple of ways (at least) to do it.

1) If using MIDI, assign a pedal to loop 2, and then double-click on
loop 2 during the waiting period before you switch over to it.  I think
the technical term for this is "double-click copying."

2) Press the Multiply button during the same waiting period, which tells
the EDP to copy the current loop into the loop it's about to hop into.

> This might be a rookie question, but, you mention "Next-Multiply"
> and I saw Mark mention "Insert-Multiply", "Overdub-Multiply", etc,
> etc. Whenever I hit "Next" into an empty loop, the EDP always goes
> into Multiple mode. Is this behavior parameter controlled?

The EDP always treats a loop copy as a multiply, and when you press
other functions during the waiting period, it affects what happens when
you make the jump to the next loop.

Some people don't like the fact that the EDP always goes into multiply
when doing a loop copy.  I personally like it a lot, but if you want to
get around it there are a couple of tricks that work well:

1) As soon as the loop copy starts, tap the multiply button a second
time, telling the EDP to stop multiplying after one cycle.  If you turn
roundmode off, and tap it right after the copy begins, then there'll be
very little time for any sound to go into the loop during the copy.

2) Use the interface mode called "In" (for "Input"), which assigns the
expression pedal to control the level of the live input that goes into
the EDP.  If you select this mode, and bring the pedal all the way back
(i.e. as if you were bringing the volume all the way down), then no
sound will go into the loop, even if you have overdub/multiply/etc. open.

Good luck!

--Andre LaFosse
The Echoplex Analysis Pages:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP