MIDI pattern sequencer?

hello all,

i'm finally getting my setup up and running. but i'm
finding that i need a device that will throw out a riff in
MIDI, over and over again. one option would be a pattern
sequencer, in which case I'd need to program in the MIDI
pattern, but it could be saved. another option would be a
MIDI looper, for real time MIDI looping. but as has been
said before, there aren't many MIDI loopers out there,
except perhaps the EMU command stations. i'm trying to do
acid-style loops (acid the genre, not acid the program =),
where i can throw a repeating riff into a midi synth and
then tweak the cutoff over time, etc... the ability to do
this live, spontaneously, at a gig would be great.

I have an opportunity to get an electribe EM1 for about
$170. i also have the opportunity to score an XL-7 command
station for about $260. (I do have other EMU chips, so this
is tempting.)

is the EM1 easy to program riffs into? as easy as, say, an
old TB303??

is the XL-7 easy to program a riff into? what about
throwing a riff in live and having it loop around?

are these devices easy to route to external MIDI devices?
(i've got other synths i want to sequence with them.)
should i buy one of these devices, or look for something
else?

i've asked similar questions before, so please forgive my
repetition.

as always, THANK YOU!!!!!!

- dylan from st louis