Midi based looping?

I'm an electronic drummer and years ago I had a Roland TD7 module that had a great feature that's pretty much like the hardware loopers we use.  (I own a repeater)

Press the footswitch and it goes into record ready mode.  Start playing and it records.  Press again and it starts looping.  Then you can play over it or tap pedal to add additional layers.  Simple but really useful with electronic drums.  But all in the MIDI domain.   The newer TD10 module doesn't do it.  The drumkat does it but in a limited way that's useless - you have to define how many measures and set tempo in advance....

Anyone see something, say a drum machine, groove box, or small rack mountable thing that does this?  Any software that's good at this?

Thanks
 -Bill