Re: Getting Gigs

Doug,

Feel free to pass on the info to anyone who might find it useful.

I used to play Borders a lot, five or six years ago.  Their booking policy
used to be determined by the individual stores, and the money varied
between $50 to $150 if you weren't a "name" act.  Sometimes it was cash,
sometimes store credit, but they always had a PA (they'd done some
national deal with Carvin) and the people were friendly.  Then something
changed, and suddenly there was a whole lot of paperwork that needed to be
signed, a lot of warnings regarding volume, objectionable lyrics, and so
on, and a lot of the places (in my area at least) stopped having music
except for touring artists and such.  But for a while it was sweet--once
you'd played one, you were pretty much an automatic "in" at any of the
others (I managed to book shows in the UK from the States, although my
travel arrangements fell through, but the stores were good to go).

On the other hand, there always seemed to be a high turnover in the
booking person ("Community Affairs" I believe they called it), so if you
tried to book a return gig you were talking to a new person whose first
action on the job had been to roundfile the old calendar and all the demos.

The good Borders gigs were the ones where they set you up in the music
department, where it was quiet.  The sketchier ones were the ones in the
cafe area, where you had a decent chance of encountering the "Hey--I guess
I'm totally invisible to these people..." phenomena.