Re: [LOOP] Re: Getting Gigs

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Douglas Baldwin wrote:

> Travis-
>     An excellent description of the gig-booking process. I'm copying it
>and
> passing it along to some of my students (but only with your blessings!)
>. I
> would add that it helps to actually visit the places you intend to play
> whenever possible and meet with the owners/managers/steady help. Find out
> what they want and what they're looking for, and be flexible in your
> approach until/unless your vision commands significant crowds of moneyed
> listeners regardless of venue. BTW, a good friend booked a "Borders
>tour" in
> the metro NY area by simply hooking up with one, then calling the others,
> using the first as a reference. Somewhat disappointing is that the dollar
> figures are probably not much different than I would have encountered
>twenty
> years ago.
> dB

I'd like to second (third, whatever) my thanks to Travis for his great
advice.

Related to Douglas' addition:
Since I don't (yet) play more than two hours drive from my home, I make a
point to at least scout every venue I'm going to be playing at, mostly for
two reasons:
a) for lack of a better phrase, the feel of the place, and
b) physical setup - where, available power, etc. For example, since I
almost always use a theremin, I want to be able to setup more than six
inches from my bandmate's elbow or a structural steel girder. I view this
space issue as my problem, and I get to figure out how to solve it.

Meeting the staff of the venue for the first time, if for no other reason
than to get introductions out of the way before the evening we're setting
up to play, is a great thing too.

best,
Steve B
Subscape Annex http://www.subscapeannex.com/