Re: asynchronous loops and the DD-20

At 3:58 PM -0400 5/23/04, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

>Okay, you win. The DD-20 is no Eventide -- though I don't
>exactly really remember ever implying that it was. However,
>it does (in whatever minimal way) provide 2 potentially
>asynchronous delay lines -- yes, without those exact
>features you mention. Funny, I must've missed that part
>of the thread. I was not aware that they were a requirement
>for what was being asked about. Sorry, I was only trying
>to help. I'll keep my own council next time . . . heheh.

No pissing contest intended, though I was a little put off by the
absolutism of your "In a word: YES"

Frankly, I haven't been paying that close attention to these threads,
but became interested because the asynchronous delays feature is
something that was a formative element of my own practice.

My first delay-oriented listening was to Steve Reich's "Come Out" and
to Pauline Oliveros's "I of IV," both of which depended on multiple
delays. When I started working with digital delays in performance I
used a PCM 42 and a Deltalabs DL-4. Each was fed by a separate aux
send from a mixer. Therefore the idea of multiple delay lines with
complete independence of routing and parameter control was essential
to everyting I did. I never did use a setup that is probably the most
common: a series connection of instrument -> processor A -> processor
B -> [whatever] -> amp. I also never performed beat-oriented music.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com