Re: laptop on stage

It didn't break, just glitched-up too many times for comfort. For example, I had Reason open and about to trigger my first loop and the machine froze -- right after introducing myself getting the audience's attention, all eyes awaiting a built-up start, and then a 4 min. wait while the machine restarted and program reopened.

On a separate occasion, the machine started up to a black screen three times in a row before powering on -- holding up my start time nearly 15 min. I carry it in a hardshell case with ample foam and it typically works fine without a hiccup at home (of course).

Perhaps it got stage-fright, but I know for certain I'm frightened of using it again onstage. Not having the convenience of a computer onstage has actually added a bit more virtuosity to my performances. I'm enjoying the simplicity of a hardware-based set-up, nice to turn everything on and be set.

Don't get me wrong, the Powerbook's still the heart of my recording "studio" set-up -- just not a welcome addition in live contexts anymore.
Get Optimized,
Rob

Warm blends of downtempo beats that will soothe your your mind...
"an original score to the tragedy of American idealism"
http://www.optimusrob.com