Re: laptop on stage

>It didn't break, just glitched-up too many times for comfort.  For
>example, I had Reason open and about to trigger my first loop and
>the machine froze -- right after introducing myself getting the
>audience's attention, all eyes awaiting a built-up start, and then a
>4 min. wait while the machine restarted and program reopened.

we need to overcome such problems.
Since I installed OS 10.3.3 onto my powerbook in december, it only
crashed about 5 times, 3 of them due to the MIDI interface (seems an
upgrade fixes this, too). And I really forced it by installing
programs, talking comunicating on the net, debugging software and
listening to music over FireWire... all simultaneously!
And I use the machine for many hours a day, always changing
configurations... and I only restart it about once a week...
I had dozends if not hundreds of application crashes due to my C++
studies. And I had some crashes of audio aplications... I dont say
its totally save, but geting more confident that we can get there!

In the beginning I rejected OSX and earlyer versions had their problems.
I was afraid not to have control over the system since all is spread
much more in thousands of files now, but I still dont know much about
it and dont need to, because everything simply works from the start!
No conflicts!
Connect and disconnect as you wish...

And as it seems Windows improves as well... maybe I will buy such a
(cheaper) machine only for stage use

>Perhaps it got stage-fright, but I know for certain I'm frightened
>of using it again onstage.

I can understand that! And it may not be the moment yet to try again...

>Not having the convenience of a computer onstage has actually added
>a bit more virtuosity to my performances.  I'm enjoying the
>simplicity of a hardware-based set-up, nice to turn everything on
>and be set.

certainly has its nice side...

But I am also lazy to edit sounds on a front pannel, seems there is
no software editor for the Lexicon G2 :-(

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org