Re: kim's post, yadda yadda yadda

I just want to share this quote from Douglas Barnes, from the Cyberpunk
Handbook, circa 1996:

"Novelist Umberto Eco compared the Mac operating system to the Catholic
church.  Believers (users) must approach God (the hardware) through a
layer of churchly indirection and simplification (icons, symbols,
point-and-click), while DOS is very Protestant -- you're responsible for
achieving salvation ON YOUR OWN damn it, and you confess your sins
directly to GOD, AND NO KISSY-FACE ICONS IN BETWEEN."

This quote is about the OSes, but I think you can apply it to the
hardware, too.  You either want someone else to take responsibility for
your stuff working, or you're willing to do the hard work to make it
go.  Catholicism works for some people, Protestantism for others.

If you happened to grow up using PCs or watched Wargames in the 1980s
and have a romantic affection for the hacker aesthetic then you are
probably going to be alright on a PC.

If you don't enjoy (or don't have the time for) problem solving and
learning about computers, then save your pennies and buy a Mac.
Although, now that Mac OS X is a UNIX I gotta say I am somewhat
interested in it from a geek perspective.

The time you spend in research about PCs and what components to buy for
an audio system is an investment in your future.  Standards change, bus
architectures come and go, but if you just keep your eye on it every
once in a while you can follow the state of the art in PC hardware and
be ready to adopt it when you need to upgrade.

Microsoft OSes up until now have been junk, but XP is okay.  Maybe
someday they'll go UNIX-style, too.  I'm running a dual-boot system on
my laptop: WinXP Pro for audio, and Linux for internet, e-mail, and
everything esle.  But, believe me, if MOTU would provides drivers for
Linux I'd spend a hundred hours hacking Linux kludges to get out from
under the mediocrity of Microsoft.  PCs could be so much better than
they are under the market-leading operating system.

Good luck.

-J