dancers

> I've done a lot of live looping with dancers, and my experience is
> that they don't really *listen* to the music, it just happens while
> they do their thing.  Really.  Maybe they're responding to it on some
> subconscious level.  I've gotten the impression that asking a modern
> dancer to synchronize to music is received with the same enthusiasm
> you'd encounter when asking a poet to write something that rhymes

Well, my own experience is exactly the same...
First time I did work for a dancing troop, I met the same behaviour.

I was said "the music is not to convey rythmic information. The dancing
bodies should".
I was said "the music is not to attract attention over the dancers".
I was also said "the music is not to convey the melodic structure. The
dancing bodies should".

It was a first for me, but boy, did I learn...

Olivier