ELP and shredding

I recently heard  "In the beginning" after a long hiatus.
What a beautiful song, even if it was atypical of ELPs output.

I loved that group and saw them a couple times but I have to say that
revisiting most of that material
it just hasn't aged well for me, personally.

At the time it was virtuosic music that was really impressive.

I remember distinctly though,  my brother Bill and I going to see an ELP
show at Winterland
and there was this band called the Mahavishnu Orchestra opening up for
them.
This was a few weeks before
their first record, Inner Mounting Flame came out and I remember so
vividly
looking over
and seeing my brother Bill, as the only standing member of the audience
with
his mouth literally hanging open
30 seconds into the first song before I realized that I too, was standing
with my mouth hanging open...........we were the only
ones in the audience who seemed to be having that reaction and I felt like
my whole world changed in a heartbeat.

Carl Palmer was a really, really accomplished rock drummer and in one
quick
pass of 16th note triplets across his huge
vistalite drumset,  Billy Cobham annhialated him and every other rock
drummer I had ever seen or loved for sheer speed and power. He just ramped
it way, way the fuck up and it was amazing.

It's interesting, but for what incredible missionary zeal I had for jazz
fusion in those early days,  I find that it no longer holds
my interest,  but I think sometimes that is what happens in the life of a
musician...............frequently we go through a phase were sheer
viruosity
blows us away and inspires us to work our asses off on technique, but it
all
ultimately becomes a means to an end:  the ability to express oneself with
one's chosen instrument.

Speed and technique now mean very little to me unless it serves the
composition and the music (which frequently it doesn't).
Bill and I laughingly refer to the excesses of the NAMM show by calling it
the:

"Weedela weedela
Thwakita wakita
Thuggida buggida
SHOW"

because all the insecure guitar players all play 'weedela weedela'
arpeggios
as fast as they can at every guitar booth
all the insecure bass players play 'thwakita wakit'  popping and slapping
as
fast as they can and
all the insecure drummers play ' thuggida buggida' triplet 16th rolls at
every drum booth.

Me,  I specialize in playing a whole lot of instruments I can hardly play
in
front of live

should probably pay more attention
to the shredders for the sake of my audiences.

rick