Re: Re:

Larry -

You have proven definitively (with the content of your reply to my e-mail
you) that you do not know me.  Instead, you have made additional
assumptions
about me based on no real knowledge about me.  This is a pity.

Your argument is that people become lost in, or blinded even, by the
technology discussed on this Loopers-Delight list.  So?  Perhaps
Loopers-Delight is a place where people gather to learn more about the
capabilities of their technology, and in so doing to extend their musical
capabilities?  Perhaps this is a venue for people to learn?  Learning is
not
a problem, is it?

First, I suggest that discussion of looping technology on this looping list
originally created by and associated with a website that is dedicated to
looping and looping technology should not be a surprise to you.

When I go to Russia, it is reasonable to me that I will hear Russian spoken
around me.  When I read posts from Loopers-Delight, it is reasonable to me
that I might read about looping technology.  I'm not surprised.  I may not
understand a lot of what I read here.  I may not be as interested in some
topics as I am in others.  But I'm not surprised that on an e-list created
by and for looping musicians, who invariably must use technology of some
sort to accomplish their looping, that discussion of technology takes
place.

Indeed, because of this forum, I've been able to suggest and then obtain
two
capabilities I thought would benefit the looping technology I own.  These
capabilities are now part of the feature-set of the latest EDP software.
So, I've used this very unique forum to shape the looping technology to
better suit my musical needs.  And I'm grateful to the authors of the EDP
software for including my requests in their product.

Second, I suspect like many here, I read and subscribe to other music
related e-lists.  These other lists are based around discussion of other
topics.  They each have their own "style" or "flavor" and to varying
degrees
contribute to my musical circumstances.  I get musical inspiration from
other places than Loopers-Delight.  As we all do.

I've been reading this list off and on since 1996.  Many topics have
repeated and returned over that time.  Some discussions evolve and some
seem
to get stuck.  Your premise that the Loopers-Delight email list talks about
technology too much has been discussed here before.  It's not important
that
so far you've not added anything new to the discussion.  What is important
is that you've raised it again.  But unfortunately, your manner and style
has killed the discussion before it really got started.  More's the pity.
Or perhaps you have another goal?

Now, let's discuss your statement:

>> Take what I say as not another opinion but a judgment. I have some
>> historical perspective.

And my reply:

> The thing about perspective is it changes based on where you sit.
> Perspective therefore is not fixed, it is changeable. And if
> perspectives
> change, then judgments that are fixed will become obsolete.

The history of music is filled with examples of situations where judgments
made in one age or culture are cast off as obsolete in another.  Let me
offer some examples:

1) Judgments about what is dissonant and using dissonance seem to differ
across cultures and over time.   Middle Eastern, Chinese and Western music
have different perspectives on dissonance.  But as the world perspective
changes to becomes more of a cultural polyglot, western ears are not
shocked
and confused by middle-eastern scales, for example.

2) There was a time when Jazz was judged a cheap, non-enlightened bawdy
form
of music.  Today is it revered as among the most sophisticated and
technically challenging styles of music.

3) There was a time when, from the perspective of the Christian church,
that
the use of instruments (other than the human voice) was judged so
degenerative and shameful that they were banned.  Now Churches pride
themselves on the organs they contain.

4) The judgments made in the 1950's about the first electronic music
broadcasts from WDR in Cologne in early 1950's would never have anticipated
the impact they, and their authors, have made to influence popular music
less than 50 years later.

Unfortunately, your absolutist statements about music, perspective and
judgments along with your blanket statements about individuals on this list
have buried an interesting point you try to raise.

Whatever your intention was, it seems the tone and attitude of your e-mail
appear to have gotten in the way of your ideas.    That's also a pity.