Re: Re: Re: Re:

On Feb 15, 2005, at 12:03 PM, Richard Zvonar wrote:

> At 9:59 AM -0800 2/15/05, Larry Cooperman wrote:
>
>> i spent 3 years smoking pot with most of my instructors for my mfa.
>
> Right. You went to CalArts?

Yes Richard.

>> how anyone can stand doing a dma is beyond me except for killing time.
>
> My partner would probably disagree. She worked hard to get her DMA
> from Stanford and she did some significant research on bowing
> practices in the transitional period between the Baroque and
> Classical. She has subsequently published some of this work and
> otherwise passed it along to her students and her professional
> colleagues. I think this is a fair example of how a serious
> scholar/performer can treat the time spent and the work done in a
> doctoral program.

Yes, well I have to be my own person on the education thing that's why
CalArts.  They encourage you to take charge of your edu.  I have no
work to pass on about other people's work.

> I myself spent five years in a doctoral program (PhD in my case). I
> worked hard, smoked no pot, made a lot of pieces and absorbed a lot of
> information, and I consider it time well spent.

I wrote and performed.  I worked on research papers concerning the
strange properties of the vibrating string and the fretting system,
smoked a lot of pot and realized that i was born into the music thing
so why agonize over an education.  I just tried to keep it from
interfering with what I already did and enjoyed the work of all of the
talented people around me.  I did what I did Richard and the
intervention of a teacher at CalArts was to encourage growth as an
artist.   I am no scholar on other people's work unless there is a
particular thing that they do I want to know so I get scores or these
days, email and ask.  Some composers will answer.

>> as you can maybe see i have very little respect for a comprehensive
>> education that someone anoints you with.
>
> I don't think one can "anoint" you with a "comprehensive education"
> though it is common practice to "bestow" a "degree" on someone who
> follows orders for the prescribed period of time. However it is still
> possible to earn a degree through educating one's self with the help
> of a university.

Yes!  I am sure that your partner grabbed what she wanted.  I waited
until I was old to go to college and just wanted to be sanitized for
teaching all to find out that literature would have been a better
degree for me.  My wife has this degree and I am more interested in
what she is reading than what i am playing.  Words are clear, music is
abstract.  Love the words though.

> --

> Richard Zvonar, PhD
> (818) 788-2202