Re: Zürich Loopfest 2005

Hi Bernhard,

As you know I applied for a Swedish public grant to cover up for travel
costs to come and play in August. Now they answered back and said that
they could not take any decision because I "had not filled out the form
correctly, since I had left the text area for gage blank". Next meeting
will be on May 20 and if I get back to them with a sum for "gage" I
will probably get the grant for travel costs.

I called them up and they told me that they have to get the figure
because they have this political goal to not support "bad" venues that
pay musicians too little money. Personally I think that is a good idea,
but the reality is that I and many other musicians don't think that
it's such a great idea to base a creative lifestyle aiming at creating
unusual music on the income you can make as a musician. Trying that is
just stupid and very uncreative in the long run. Their way of thinking
make sense when applied to commercial forms of music or
institutionalized music (playing in symph orchestras etc). I told them
that I was going to play "on the door", sell CDs and also play another
gig in Italy that will bring some money in (which is true) and also
that I value the Zürich Loopfest very high for promotional matters. So
the guy actually said "just give us a sum for the gage and it will be
fine with help for your travel costs".

I don't think they need to se a copy of a contract so my idea is to
simply mail them an estimated figure. There is a "Club gig norm" here
of SEK 1650 (USD 240) and that's the figure I'm planning to give them.
  That's the lowest you can go without breaking the rules and
disqualifying for the grant support ;-)

Myself I never thought about getting paid for playing, really. That
would not be possible with an expensive venue and that many performers.
But the Swedish support group have to follow the rules, I'm afraid. So
I'll "estimate the gage" and send them the figure, but I really can't
take any money in reality, unless all your costs are first paid for and
all performers are sharing the rest equally.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)