Re: basic loop equipment

Well, we're sort of comparing apples and oranges here.
ANY of them could be used as a practice tool. To
simply play back a track along with which you can play
lead lines, you don't even need a four track; ANY sort
of recording device (mono, stereo, cassette, digital,
whatever) will work. But the reason I suggested the
RC-20 is that it's extremely convenient to be able to
do it all with your feet, and the time capacity is
greater than other looping devices in its price range.

-t-

ps: the Tascam MF-P01 is not digital; it's a very
basic analog 4-track. It'd work just fine, except
you'd have to be hitting that rewind button an awful
lot to use it to practice over. I'd think of it more
as a songwriter's tool: it'd be a great, low-cost way
to play the chords of a song, then overdub a vocal, a
bass line, etc. until you've filled up your four
passes. But for practicing over a repeating pattern
(such as a 12-bar blues), I stand by my original
advice.

--- Stephanie Stemmler <sstemmler@above-the-fold.com>