Finding gigs for live looping

Travis wrote:
"Rick has been an advocate of promoting these events as "live looping",
and if it helps, then do it, but I'd hate for someone trying to find
somewhere to play to think that they have to find a "live looping"
venue instead of just a venue open to their music."

Hey Travis,

I certainly respect your experience and I see what you mean by saying this,
but I was initially interested in getting people interested in the diverse
music that came
really specifically from live looping and I realize that trying that in
Santa Cruz may be really
different than in other cities (it is a pretty unusual place one has to
admit) but we
were going through an incredibly dry spell in terms of places to play in
the
city after the
dot.com bust.

Rents of rentable venues trebled,  most nighclubs closed down to live
music
and went DJ only
and the remaining music venues became incredibly more conservative in
booking anything
that was unusual.

Necessity being a mother,   I just started looking at opening up new
places
(or finding new places that
were just opening up).

I completely agree with Chris (aka samba) when he says that there are tons
of places to play that are outside of
the kinds of places that I started looking at,  but a large number of the
places that he mentioned are not necessarily
suitable for a multiple artist performance where electric music is allowed
and permissable.

In Santa Cruz, as an example, virtually all outdoor gigs have gone the way
of the dinasour (or $1 a gallon gasoline) due
to 1) a really repressive police department and attendant laws and 2) due
the incredible rise in insurance for events.

I knew I needed places where I could count on a date..........poster the
show and publicize the hell out of it.

My experience has actually been that using 'live looping' as a calling
card
has been extremely successful but mind you,
I have completely eschewed gigs at jazz, blues and pop rock bars because I
know from 30 years in the music business that
they are usually not really open to things that are outside of their
defined
boxes.

Trust me,  I tried them all originally.    The first live looping gig that
was a monthly affair got started at a Sushi bar or all wierd things, but
the
booker was a fan of our music and realized that he wanted to help us
figure
out how to use this interesting technology
before we even knew how to do it.

Hell, I've made beaucoup bucks playing live looping based music for
corporate parties, weddings and other hi paying gigs (1st Night SAnta
Cruz,
pit orchestra for the Calabash Awards, et. al.) but let's face it,   these
are not necessarily typical gigs and, in my experience, they are few and
far
between (especially after the lucrative dot.com era ended in the the South
Bay, SF Bay and Monterey Bay areas).

**************
What I have found is that a lot of people just starting out in the venue
business (or art gallery, what have you) are doing so with a lot of energy
and high hopes.    I just have tried to translate my excitement about our
very, very loose knit community to everyone I have talked to.    After a
while I found out that young electronica DJs and print journalists are
fascinated by what the possibilities of our community are.

My whole point in starting this thread was just to say , essentially, that
nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I have been instrumental in helping to create three different musical
movements in my local area:  New Wave,  World Beat and now Live Looping.

Every time that we have worked our asses off to promote something that is
brand new (there were no African, Jamaican or MiddleEastern bands playing
the Catalyst in our town before I just badgered Gary Tighe at the Catalyst
over and over again to book some) and gotten a really healthy scene going
on
someone invariably says,  "You guys are so lucky that there are so many
gigs
in your area."

My point is that you have to get out there and make something out of
nothing
if you want to create a scene.   If, as Chris says,  you can play
Safeway's
produce section without being busted,  go for it!!!!!      It's just
increasingly difficult to do that were we live (as you have to admit,
Chris.........<wink>