Strategies (was: Re: Improv loops (was Re: Upcoming gig)

On Jun 14, 2005, at 21:45, Hartung, Kris wrote:

> Since I started looping and playing mostly improvisational,
> spontaneously composed performances, I don't practice or rehearse for
> them...

That's interesting! I guess it depends on what you actually read into
the word "practicing"? I like to practice very much, almost all my
waking time, but more in the essence of "preparing". Sometimes the
best preparation is to isolate oneself from any music at all and try
not to hear music in your head all the time. Very difficult, but if
you only succeed half ways it will pay you back enormously when you
finally pick up an instrument to improvise. Sometimes I play a lot as
preparation, but use a different instrument than I will be performing
with. Or I play a different musical style. One of the greatest
advices I have ever been given was to never ever practice "the easy
way"; When you do a mistake during practice, take it seriously. You
have to do mistakes to avoid them or turn them into something good.
Do not make a difference between "practicing" and performing!  (By
"mistake" I'm not talking about a sloppy note here and there, merely
the attitude of being lazy, delivering a fad expression which leads
to not feeling inspired by your own playing). Before given that
advice I did not improve much (musically) by practicing. I'm glad
things have changed now.

But in a shorter perspective - like the last five to ten minutes
before you will perform - it may be a good thing to fool around a
little with the instrument without actually playing anything. Just
letting your body melt into the instrument while emptying/focusing
your mind.

I'm very interested in mental attitudes concerning performing and
practicing, since it seems to play a very big part for what comes out
as music. I would be delighted to read what others think and what you
are using for tricks to get it right.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)