RE: means to an end (was "the diatonic-chromatic-noise paradigm")

> none taken, kevin. an excellent point.... except.... I've never really
regarded photography as (ok, arrogant again perhaps) ART /in the same
sense/ as musical composition or, say, painting. it's art, alright, but
it's still just snapping away until you get a good one, isn't it? :-)
> I think if you were to replace photography with painting in y'r
analogy, the argument would be weaker.
> thus, the photographer is analogous to a recording engineer or maybe
producer in that he captures what is already there, albeit from a more
interesting angle than you or I could have managed, & with some
interesting filters or whatever.
> whereas y'r painter has had to start from scratch. ditto y'r composer.

That's funny, my first example was actually painting, but since I'm a
photographer and not a painter, I thought I'd be safer talking about
what I know intimately.  Of course I have to disagree with your take on
photography, but I guess it all depends on how you approach it (and
there are many many types of phtography, even the things people snap
with their cell phones are considered photographs).  As for myself, I
consider my photography far more of an art than my music so what can I
say.  I've never understood the appeal of taking pictures of people or
landscapes though so I'm probably not in the mainstream of photographic
art anyway.

I could go on and on about the merits and intentions of photography as
an art but I think that would be out of place on this list.

> anyway, my interest in this subject is not borne out of wanting more
appreciation for the labour that goes into my band's outpourings. not at
all. it's because my own perspective is skewed- by being a musician, by
being an engineer, by being innately curious about how things work & why.
> I am fascinated by, & somewhat envious of, those who can appreciate
music without being the slightest bit bothered about how it got there.
> my opinions in this area will vary with mileage.

Personally I find it really annoying when I can identify particular
patches or equipment sounds in other peoples music (you'd think I'd be
over DX-7 bell sounds by now but no, everytime I hear one its a
pavlovian kind of response and not a good one).  This is a sure fire way
to be ejected from any actual appreciation of the music and into a
completely different head space.

Kevin

How amazing, how amazing!
Hard to comprehend that