Re: software that emulates Echoplex DP

On Aug 9, 2005, at 17:56, Jim Cole wrote:

> I'm not set up yet with a computer, sound card etc. to
> try these out, so I'm hoping to get some reviews of
> how these programs work compared to the EDP for live
> on the fly application from those who've used them
> with live acoustic inputs.

Only two applications do actually answer your question on "emulating
the Echoplex" and those are Mobius (WinXP) and SooperLooper (Linux,
OS X). Good documentaion of both are available online. If you want to
compare functionality with the real thing (EDP) you may download the
LOOP4 manual as well.

But you don't need all the EDP/Loop4 functions to have fun and make
great looping music. I do love my EDP/Loop4 but I find it just as fun
to loop with Augustus Looper (OS X), which is a tape delay simulator
(similar to the Lexicon PSP42, but a little more advanced).

The big challenge in software looping is to get around the AD/DA
latency, IMHO. The only way to do that is to use a software that
moves every new loop layer recorded a bit forward in time, to
compensate for the latency of the computer hardware. No such live
looping software seems to be available today (please correct me if
I'm wrong). A workaround I'm using is to use Ableton Live 5 as the
host application for Augustus Loop and when I need accurate timing,
in recording of my playing, I do record directly to a track in Live.
But this means I can not overdub layers, since Live only records a
loop and then plays it back (until you stop it). The Augustus Loop
plug-in is great to catch less timing critic sounds to build up pads
etc. If you want to make funky music anyway, you may put some beat
sync gate plug-in on the Live track that hosts the looping plug-in.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)