Re: VST Effects for MAC, Hosts, etc

I'm not totally sure, but I think Reason and Protools can run both AU and VST. The free plug-ins for Mac are basically the same as for Windows.

Actually, Reason runs no plug-ins at all. It is a closed system. Protools runs their RTAS format (and TDM format) plugins and nothing else. Digital Performer runs MAS and AU. Logic runs AU. Live runs AU and VST. Cubase and Nuendo are VST only, of course.

You can purchase, from FXpansion, a VST->AU adaptor to run VST plug-ins in an AU host (specifically Logic and DP) with mixed success. You can also purchase, from FXpansion or AudioEase, a VST->RTAS adaptor to run VST plug-ins in Protools.

There are not that many free VST plug-ins for OSX, compared to the staggering number available for Windows. But one should keep in mind that most of the freebies available for Windows are made with SynthEdit, and all have a sameness to them which can get tiring after a while.

Chris Randall

http://www.audiodamage.com
http://www.analogindustries.com