Re: Looping in Stereo ("Karmic Looping", "N:o 2")

Hi,

A very interesting one, this thread about stereo looping! When I had
a Repeater I tended to use it like (S V G) Stephen; looping my
monophonic instruments and "stereoizing" the signal by different
Repeater tricks (automatic panning sequences, bringing a mono track
output through an added stereo fx etc etc).

This is also today one of my fav techniques with the EDP; I bring the
EDP mono output into an AKAI analog filterbank that can create a
stereo immage (even a rhythmically pulsating stereo image since
filterbank LFOs follow tempo divisions of the EDP clock and also that
high and low frequencies are differently distributed in the stereo
field).

However, lately I've become very fond of playing with a stereo
processed sound and record that into stereo loops. Instead of
"mangling my loops output" I now tend to reshape the loops all the
time by playing new material into them. And the material I play into
the loops is very processed. It's like the effect processor becomes a
vital part of the instrument played, not part of the looper (as with
my old approach). So I'm definitely with Kris on "stereo looping".
What I like with it is that it's so incredibly fast. Simply play some
weird stuff with your fx-processor and cut slices of it into the
loop, or blend it carefully on top of the loop as a layer by the
feedback pedal technique.

--> Karmic Looping
I also tend to play more with the loopers constantly in overdub mode.
This gives a new dimension to improvisation because you do not "play
on top of a background". When playing lead melodies you are in fact
creating the future background that you will have to play your next
generation of lead lines over. It's like Karma - what you give is
what you get.

--> Two For The Loop
In the text above, when I typed "my loopers" I meant two. I rarely
use more than two synchronized looping devices at the same time. I've
done three, but then I thought the process of keeping three parallel
musical evolutions cooking in an interesting way restricted the
creative flow of the music. It made me feel more like a remix
engineer than like a musician ;-)  It seems the number of two is good
for looping! In my experience the most interesting music is created
when two looping musicians improvise together. I've found the duo
format more creative than solo performances or bigger ensembles.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)