Re: why do we loop?or why play live?

At 1:58 AM -0700 10/7/05, Luis Angulo wrote:

>i did a loop show at an art
>gallery and as i was bulding up some guitar loops as i
>heard a guy commenting next to me "oh yeah,nice,sure
>but thats no art playing through prerecorded stuff"
>this agreviated me because i had already taken the
>time to explain the audience briefly what i was doing
>and that same guy was there!

Ack!  That is annoying.  But I think there's always going to be some
wiseass who thinks he's being fooled.

In my experience, most people are surprised and delighted when they
figure out that it's one guy playing four or five guitars at a time.

Whenever I have an opportunity to explain what's going on, I make a
very careful point of saying it's all done in real time.

Looping isn't the center of what I do.  I'm a songwriter who uses
looping to enhance his performance.  I almost always begin with a
loop improvisation,  starting with a simple chord pattern or
single-note line, but it fairly quickly leads into a song.  I use the
loop device to capture the changes so I can play a solo later - that
kind of thing.

There's always gonna be someone who dismissed this stuff as
gimmickry.  There's always gonna be some condescending (and
ill-informed) asshole in the crowd.  Screw 'em.

--

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730