Von: Per Boysen [mailto:per@boysen.se]
Gesendet: Montag, 17. Oktober 2005 09:45
An: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Betreff: Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to
the Receptor for Mobius

> At 07:59 AM 10/15/2005, Jeff Larson wrote:
>
>> Travis Hartnett wrote:
>> > Nah--hard drives aren't designed to last more than a few years, the

>> > motherboard and power supply batteries likewise.
>>
>> Hard drive, debatable.  Motherboard, nonsense.  Batteries, yes. Power

>> cord, no.
>>
> On Oct 17, 2005, at 6:12, Kim Flint wrote:

> Sorry, that is not correct. A motherboard designed today is not
> designed to last 10 years. The probability is very low that it
> would last that long. On the other hand, a motherboard from 10
> years ago will quite likely still work fine today.

I think Kim is right on the spot here, as I have experienced this in
my real life. In 1994 I bought a very powerful computer for studio
recordings; a Mac Centris 650 with a 25 MHz processor that was even
further enforced by some Digidesign hardware. That computer never had
any problems, it just worked during the years. In 1998, although
still going strong it had became totally obsolete and was replaced
with a Pentium 3 and a couple of Pentium 4's. None of these younger
and faster PC's lasted as long as that old Apple machine. I
misunderstood it all and thought that it was Apples manufacturing
control that brought that outstanding quality. Two years ago I was
therefore happy to replace "those crappy PC's that never lasted for
more than two years" with an Apple G5 and I sincerely thought that
this machine would last at least ten years - as the old Centris did.
I took it on a leasing deal (to bring down overall costs in relation
to taxes I pay) and almost exactly on the termination day of the two
year leasing period, making me the owner,  this G5 died from a "worn
out logic board" ;-)   This true story shows that no electronics
hardware of today is manufactured to last, no matter who assembles
the parts and puts his logotype on the box.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)