Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

On Oct 17, 2005, at 23:43, Kris Hartung wrote:

> I just finally got Mobius set up with my laptop and Behringer
> controller...I
> can't tell any difference in timing between hitting the Record
> button for
> Mobius and hitting it for my EDPs.

Maybe you use some quantization of the action? I can't run Mobius but
I guess I'd like it that way because I like the EDP that way. Usually...

> And when it comes to controlling my VST
> effects via MIDI, in some cases it is faster than hardware.

Midi IS already digital, so it just flows right into the software.
The type of latency I have a problem with is the AD related latency.
The time it takes for a device to transform my analog instrument
signal into digital (ones and zero's). This calculation is not speed
up much by faster processors in the computer. Besides, it is not a
problem in praxis if you don't play through the computer, as I just
wrote in a previous post.

> Why such the black and white separation of PCs and pro audio hardware?

I definitely agree! I like it better to play guitar through my solid-
state based Gallien-Krueger than through my Sovtek tube top because
it has less latency and very small and fast 10" built in speakers. It
can't sound as warm and hot as the tube amp though. Can't get
everything ;-)

per