RE: sound mangling...

> a VST host and a key set of VST effects will
> $#@!*&#@ your sound up more than anything I can think of
> for a fraction of the price of multiple equivalent hardware units.

Let's hear it for VST effects and $#@!*&#@ your sound up!
As an extreme (and nerdy) example of this, I wrote a Python program
which hosts VST plugins and randomizes the parameters of them
while playing various wave files through them.  The mp3 files here:

   http://nosuchmedia.com/tjt/bm/radio/

show examples of the audio that this can produce.
I'd be interested to know of any live VST-hosting environments
that can randomize VST effect parameters.  It's easy
to implement and can be lots of fun.

     ...Tim...