Re: CD SALES DECLINING?

Hi Rick,

unfortunately, youīre right, CD sales are in fact declining. I have been
busy releasing CDs on my own over the past eight years, and in the meantime
a CD sells half as fast as it used to some five or six years ago. I have
even been asked if Iīd upload my newest album for download on the net. This
is in fact a stupid question if you take into consideration that the album
had just been released, and it took me a lot of effort to get the artwork
and the pressing right. Being an old-fashioned record collector I prefer
holding something physical in my hands, not something "virtual" like an mp3
download (now mp3s are an entirely different chapter I could ramble on
about... why bother to produce my music well when itīs spoilt by poor audio
conversion anyway?).

The problem is the "McDonaldsisation" of music culture. People in general
no
longer value quality over instant availability. Itīs like the difference
between cooking a decent meal yourself which takes time and effort, or
going
to the next fastfood counter and buying some shit which isnīt even worth
half the money thatīs being asked for it. Obvious as it may seem, people
still seem to be happy with inferior products and less nutritional value
just because itīs easy to obtain. Download culture (now thereīs a
contradiction in itself) guarantees instant gratification and the instant
availability of more material at apparently considerably lower prices (hey,
after all most downloads are for free as theyīre illegal most of the time,
with no penny being paid to the artists whose work is currently being
downloaded). Itīs a great thing for major corporations as the stimulus they
need to produce in order to make someone respond is considerably smaller
than it used to be, needs can be established very quickly and satisfied
even
more quickly.

The only consequence is to release albums in smaller editions and carve out
the niche youīre in. Gone are the days when you were able to make a living
from selling your music unless you very cleverly make your music available
through your website and still get paid for it. The problem is that most
people are stupid enough to believe that they really get something for free
when they donīt have to pay for something immediately, or that they made a
good deal on something if it doesnīt cost much. They donīt realize that
they
only get what they pay for. Junkfood is no real food, but hey, I get
stuffed, so what? Downloaded albums are not the real thing, but hey, I got
it for free so why bother?

Like Archie Patterson of Eurock once said to me "world is changing, but not
for the better", and right he is. Weīre in the privileged (?) position of
watching a civilizationīs (?) decline, and only can marvel at how
enthusiastically everybody chimes in.

Carving out your niche is all you can do, and keep walking on.

Hoping the best, expecting the worst,

Stephen.

"Ambition makes you look pretty ugly." (Thom Yorke/Radiohead -- "Paranoid
Android")

Now available: "Hoellenengel" -- the new album by Stephen Parsick.

For info and audio, please check www.parsick.com

Itīs out: "oughtibridge", the new [īramp] album, recorded live in England.

For info and audio, please visit the official [īramp] website at
www.doombient.com

WTB: "Englandīs Hidden Reverse" by David Keenan (Coil, Current93, Nurse
With
Wound, David Tibet).