Re: crappy music of the masses

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kris Hartung" <khartung@cableone.net>

> Sorry folks. It all seems like art and just another form of expression
> me. It's all permitted.  It's just not reaching out to greet you at the
> door.

I think I have to agree with Kris here.  Humans have a huge range of
emotions and music reflects that.    On the other hand, I think what
Daniel
was trying to point out is the commercialized feeding of 'crappy music' to
the masses.  Look at the origins of rap and metal and one can see why they
are hard, violent forms of music.  But there's this glorification of it
(hate, violence, etc) by the industry to make money that has nothing to do
with why that music was created in the first place.  Look at guys like 50
cent, Notorious B.I.G. and Snoop Dog, they all lived on the streets, had
rough violent lives and sang about it.  Is that much different from guys
like Woody Guthrie singing about the depression and workers revolts?  Yet,
there are so many artitst who are hanging on the coat-tails of the
pioneers
and making copycat music just for the fame and fortune.  That's crap and
fake and dishonest art IMHO.

>Of course, I'm repulsed by most of it as well, as some art should do to
>us
>ina healthy system of artist expression. If it doesn't than what a

Isn't that the point of a lot of art?  To push our sensibilities?  To show
us the edge?  You only know how far you can go if you go too far.

> sorry ass, monochromatic, undiverisifed, and basically soporific boring
> world we would live in. Now that would make me angry. Getting angry at
> people getting angry and expressing it via music seems like a tremdous
> waste of artistic energy.

I can't be bothered getting angry at any of them.  But it... well.. annoys
me that there are so many pretending to be angry.

I for one like metal.  I went to see Anthrax last night and it had to be
one
of the most fun shows I've been to in a while.  Lots of people singing and
jumping up and down and headbanging and having a GOOD TIME.  The reason I
go
see someone like Anthrax, or Opeth, or Judas Priest, is different from why
go see someone like King Crimson.  When I see a metal band, it's because I
want to let loose, have fun, bang my head and get a little crazy.  I see
KC
because I want to sit and listen.  It's just too boring to be a stuffy old
proghead. :)

> The anger, hatred, and violence in gangsta & metal genres astounds me.
> What a waste of a day to spend it pissed off at the world.  And of

I don't find it that astounding.  Lots of people have lives that suck and
lots of people identify with it.  What I find humorous are the
middle/upper
class kids who try to identify with it.  Pissed off suburban teenagers
driving around in daddy's BMW.  Then again, I remember driving around with
my friend in his dad's Cadillac listening to Black Sabbath.  Well, we
weren't pissed off so much as, um, pissed. ;)

Another 2 cents...

Tony