Re: Recording looping (was: Looperlative - Max Time?)

On 30 jan 2006, at 11.56, Ben wrote:

> I also use a lot the "save all layers" in mobius. This way every
> pass is getting recorded and I can also reconstruct the song
> afterwards, discarding the mistakes ;-)
> The thing is that you need more memory to work this way.

Good point! I haven't thought of that. That's a good tip for
"reconstrictive recording". Makes me think about a "pre-constructive"
recording method I recently tried; using no looper at all but simply
playing with an instrument into any recorder whatever you imagine
would work good if played back simultaneously as loops instead of in
the linear way you record it. Afterward you can go back and cut up
the recording into "loops" that you put on parallel tracks for
simultaneous playback (like a real-time looping device).

It may be OT here but that's actually a musical mind training method
that I have found very rewarding. Try to keep as much of the musical
structuring "unplayed" in your short time memory and let those
underlying structures influence your actually playing. What you may
stuff away into your memory (instead of explicitly playing it) may be
chord vamps, counter melodies or grooves. Any listener will "hear"
them anyway, although maybe differently according to their own
references. By practicing that way you can learn to play lines that
"imply more than is physically heard". I find that tremendously
exciting!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)