Re: Do I need that EDP?

I have learned to be very carefull with analisis of problems that
involve "old school tube amp tone", because there seem to be some
para scientific influences...

but what you say splits in two separate issues:

1)  Any loop before a "old school tube amp" must screw it up,
independent on what loop unit you use, because the guitar is not
going alone into it, the loops change its characteristics.
as soon as you seriously distort, be it with tubes or any pedal, you
get the interferences between your actual guitar and the loop content
which usually sounds terrible.
The mentioned solutions with insert and mic are not perfect either.
The closest seems to me would be to feed the loop unit from a speaker
simulator (not a power soak, since you do use the real speaker) at
the output of the tube amp and then go from the looper into some flat
monitor.
I never tried it. Since 1974 I am perfectly happy with solid state :-)

2)  the EDP is not quite as noise free as newer equipment is, which
appears more when you put a compressor after it. tubes do compress
somehow...

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org